Mazzaroth – The Hebrew Zodiac
by Zeke Wheeler
Undoubtedly, you’ve heard of the zodiac – The twelve constellations that comprise the astrology signs and astrology readings in the back of the newspaper each morning. But have you heard of the Mazzaroth – the Hebrew Zodiac?
Well, here’s something to think about…
He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion, the Pleiades and the constellations of the south. He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted. (Job 9:9-10)
When our ancient ancestors called the constellations by name, was it really based on “pictures” they saw in the night sky? When they viewed the cluster of stars known as Ursa Major (the “Big Dipper”), did they really see a bear and her cubs? What about the three aligned stars that mark the constellation of Orion? Did they really see the belt of a hunter?
As hard as I squint, I just don’t see it… So, where did these names come from anyway?
And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years…” (Genesis 1:14)
Is it possible that the heavenly bodies were presented as awesome “signs” from God, and each of these signs came with an underlying story? Is it possible that each story was given a name and an associated “picture,” so that the entire message of the signs in the sky could be passed along from generation to generation?
Mazzaroth – Story in the Sky
The Hebrew name for the zodiac is the Mazzaroth. Amazingly, is it possible that the twelve constellations in the Hebrew Zodiac (Mazzaroth) tell a fascinating story of God’s plan for mankind’s redemption?
1. Virgo – The virgin holding a branch and an ear of corn; the promised seed of the woman.
2. Libra – The scales; the price deficient balanced by the price that covers.
3. Scorpio – The scorpion; the attack of the enemy; the redeemer’s conflict.
4. Sagittarius – The archer; the gracious one; the redeemer’s triumph.
5. Capricornus – The sea goat; the goat of atonement slain for the redeemed.
6. Aquarius – The water bearer; the living waters of blessing poured forth for the redeemed.
7. Pisces – The fishes; the multitudes who will follow; the blessings of the redeemed.
8. Aries – The ram or lamb; wounded and slain, the blessings of the redeemed consummated.
9. Taurus – The bull; the congregation of the judge; the coming judge of all the earth.
10. Gemini – The twins; two natures; the reign of the prince of peace.
11. Cancer – The crab; assembled together; the redeemer’s possessions held fast.
12. Leo – The Lion of the tribe of Judah; the consummated triumph of the redeemer in the end.
Mazzaroth – The Hebrew Zodiac and the Gospel of Salvation
Don’t get me wrong – My presentation of the Hebrew Zodiac (Mazzaroth) is not intended as an endorsement of new age astrology…
FOLLOW THE LINK BELOW TO CONTINUE READING >>>