Just Give Me Evidence! EVIDENCE EVIDENCE EVIDENCE!
Hi everyone. As usual, yet another blog post is being inspired by twitter conversations. Twitter gives me such great #BlogFodder
If you’ve spent any time discussing the existence of God or the truth of Christianity online, you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about.
This is how it might go:
1. An atheist (or group of atheists) will demand evidence for God.
2. You respond by giving them evidence for God.
3. They just label it a fallacy (or worse, say that ‘arguments are not evidence’) and repudiate it.
4. They ask for evidence again.
5. You reply with, “I just gave you evidence, you didn’t address it. What do you mean by evidence?”
6. The atheist(s) reply, “STUPID CHRISTIAN! DON’T TRY TO REDEFINE EVIDENCE! GIVE ME EVIDENCE!!!11″
|‘Like’ The Poached Egg on Facebook!||Follow @ThePoachedEgg||Join our Support Team!|
Remember that conversation you had with that one [group of] atheist(s) that sounded just like that? That was incredibly frustrating, wasn’t it?
I know that feel, bro.
This is why I’ve tried starting the conversation with a discussion about the nature of evidence. I can’t give a skeptic evidence if the skeptic doesn’t understand evidence.
As I’ve discussed in an earlier post, “Evidence can be defined as the available body of facts or information which tends to prove or disprove something, usually associated with the justification for beliefs”. This entails that a valid and sound argument is evidence for a particular proposition. So when you hear someone say something silly like, “arguments are not evidence”, they’re just wrong.
And this is why it can so difficult to give evidence for God’s existence to certain atheists; its because no evidence for God’s existence will ever suffice, because this particular type of atheist doesn’t understand evidence…