Grand Theft Worldview: Frank Turek’s “Stealing From God: Why Atheists Need God To Make Their Case”
by Tom Gilson
Stealing from God: Why Atheists Need God To Make Their Case by Frank Turek
One thing you have to say for Frank Turek: he knows how to put a provocative title on a book. He did it with I Don’t Have Enough Faith To Be an Atheist. He’s done it again with Stealing from God.
Other than a catchy title, though, does he have a point? Consider this:
- Richard Dawkins calls God “evil,” but tells us evil doesn’t exist. (He’s half right: “Evil” is meaningless without God.)
- Sam Harris wants to hold people accountable for their actions, but tells us we have no free will. (He’s half right: if the world is strictly natural and material, free will is impossible.)
- Lawrence Krauss pursues science as the causal explanation for what we see in nature, but tells us the cause of the universe was “nothing.” He thinks his loose definition of “nothing” resolves that obvious tension.” (He’s stuck there: without God as creator, the explaining where the universe came from requires some creative thinking.)
- Atheists claim to be the true representatives of reason, but have no good explanation for where reason came from, and (trust me, I was there at the “Reason Rally,” and I have a chapter about it in True Reason) resort to ridicule and emotion to make their “reasoned” case. (Are they stuck, too? Is that why they do that?)
- They claim their reason is about reality, but as atheists Thomas Nagel and Alex Rosenberg have cogently argued, they can’t explain how a strictly material brain can be about anything at all. (That requires something else. God, for example.)
Atheists often argue against the biblical God’s supposed evil, and Christianity’s supposed unscientific, unreasoning nature. They really are stuck, though: they need something a lot like God in the picture in order to explain what evil is, what reason is, and even how science makes sense. They’re stealing from God to make their case against him.
It isn’t just a provocative title, in other words. Nor is it just about atheists…
FOLLOW THE LINK BELOW TO READ THE FULL ARTICLE >>>