The “Road Runner Tactic” for Self-defeating Statements
by J.N. Whiddon
If I could equip you with only one weapon of reasoning, how to detect self-defeating statements would be it.
The key to using this potent technique lies first in the concept of truth.
The key to understanding what truth is involves understanding the characteristics which truth exhibits. Consider the following:¹
- If something is true, it is true for all people and in all places. (2+2=4)
- All truth claims are absolute, narrow and exclusive.
- All truths exclude their opposites.
- Truth is discovered – and it is independent of anyone’s awareness of it. (Gravity)
- Truth is unchanging even if our beliefs change. (The Earth was still round when it was thought to be flat.)
- Beliefs cannot change facts – regardless of how sincerely they are held. (The Earth was still round.)
- Truth is not affected by the attitude of the person professing it. (Arrogance neither annuls nor affirms truth.)
- Contrary beliefs are possible. Contrary truths are not. (Unfortunately, often times people are not seeking truth – they are seeking excuses to justify their beliefs.)
Given the characteristics of truth we just reflected upon – consider these statements…
FOLLOW THE LINK BELOW TO READ THE FULL ARTICLE >>>