Eye-Witness Testimony for the New Testament Documents
by Billy Dyer
A decent look into manuscript evidence can show us that we have a reliable copy of the New Testament. By that I mean we can have confidence that what we read today in the New Testament is the same thing the original authors wrote. But there is a second question that needs to be asked; Does the New Testament Tell the Truth? Sure we have an accurate copy but we could have a copy of a lie. I want to give you a few lines of evidence that point to the veracity of the NT documents. In this blog post we will talk about the first line:
If the NT documents were written in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th centuries then they are a lie. How so?
1) Because they claim to be eyewitness documents.
- For we did not follow cleverly devised tales when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of His majesty. For when He received honor and glory from God the Father, such an utterance as this was made to Him by the Majestic Glory, “This is My beloved Son with whom I am well-pleased”– and we ourselves heard this utterance made from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain. (2Pe 1:16-18)
- What was from the beginning, what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we have looked at and touched with our hands, concerning the Word of Life– and the life was manifested, and we have seen and testify and proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and was manifested to us– what we have seen and heard we proclaim to you also, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ. (1Jn 1:1-3)
- 1st Corinthians 15:3-8 testifies to us that the Apostles, including Paul, claimed to have seen the Bodily Resurrection of Jesus.
- Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile an account of the things accomplished among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and servants of the word, it seemed fitting for me as well, having investigated everything carefully from the beginning, to write it out for you in consecutive order, most excellent Theophilus; so that you may know the exact truth about the things you have been taught. (Luke 1:1-4)…
FOLLOW THE LINK BELOW TO READ THE FULL ARTICLE >>>