A Case for the Bible 101: The Bible’s Scientific Authenticity
by Teri Dugan
Over the past few months we have been looking at the evidence for the reliability, historicity, and inspiration of the Bible using the acronym MAPS-S. We have seen an abundance of evidence in these categories: M=Manuscripts, A=Archeology, and P=Prophecy. We will now take a look at the evidence from S=Science.
The first thing to note is that the Bible was not written to be a book of science, however, when it speaks of things related to science facts known today it is never incoherent or mythological in its descriptions. In fact, the Bible was giving accurate scientific and medical information thousands of years before their discoveries by humans. Unlike the other so-called “holy books” the Bible speaks about the things of nature, including cosmology, geology, and even biochemistry, in ways that we would speak of them today.
- The earth is a sphere (Isaiah 40:22)
- Incalculable number of stars (Jeremiah 33:22)
- Free float of earth in space (Job 26:7)
- Creation made of invisible elements (Hebrews 11:3)
- Each star is different (1 Corinthians 15:41)
- Light moves (Job 38:19-20)
- Air has weight (Job 28:25)
- Winds blow in cyclones (Ecclesiastes 1:6)
- Blood is the source of life and health (Leviticus 17:11)
- Ocean floor contains deep valleys and mountains (2 Samuel 22:16; Jonah 2:6)
- Oceans contain currents and springs (Psalm 8:8; Job 38:16)
- When dealing with disease, hands should be washed under running water (Leviticus 15:13)…