Celebrating Eight Years of Ministry: A Retrospective and Things to Come
by Greg West
When I first launched The Poached Egg (TPE) on June 10, 2010, I never imagined it would lead to a full time ministry. I started out doing it in my spare time, then went to part time in 2013, when TPE entered into a partnership with the outstanding campus apologetics ministry, Ratio Christi (RC). About a year later I was brought on staff at RC which enabled me to do TPE as a full-time ministry. I’m very thankful for the last five years of partnership with RC, but with the many changes happening there, and with budget restrictions and other limited resources available to help TPE be utilized at its fullest potential, I felt it was time to move on and seek out other opportunities. More on that later, but first, a look at some of what TPE has accomplished over the last eight years:
Eight Years and a Computer…
- Visitors from nearly every country in the world: While most of our traffic comes from English speaking countries, we get daily traffic from all over the world, including many countries where Christianity is restricted, and many Muslim countries that are hostile towards Christianity, or where it is outlawed altogether.
- Nearly 10,000 posts on a wide variety of topics such as Apologetics (our main focus) Biblical Archaeology, Bible Study & Understanding, Christian Living, Current Events, Discipleship, Evangelism, History, Philosophy, Science, and more! TPE draws from hundreds of sources to bring you the best and most relevant daily content on the topics I mention here.
- I receive a considerable amount of e-mail from believers, seekers, skeptics, and more than a few critics. The most encouraging e-mails I receive are from believers who were struggling with doubt and found TPE to be an edifying resource, and from believers who have encountered tough objections from friends and loved ones and articles found on TPE helped them tackle the tough questions making them better equipped to share the Gospel effectively.
- TPE is also a great resource for those who have apologetics ministries that might not be as well known as someone like Lee Strobel. When first starting a blog or website, it can be difficult to get traffic (believe me, I know!). TPE features articles by those who are just starting out which gives them not only a boost in traffic they might not get otherwise, but it also gives them a boost of encouragement and confidence!
- Kindle Deals: For the last several years we have been regularly featuring Kindle deals on books that are relevant to the topics featured on TPE. Last year we sold over 10,000 books on apologetics and related topics. Although this brings in some much needed revenue (last year’s sales commissions totaled just over $2,300), the main thing is getting all of these great resources into people’s hands at an affordable price—from $0.99 to $3.99, and sometimes free!
- Raising awareness of the need for apologetics training. I’ve featured over 900 articles on the topic of ‘Why we need apologetics’ and how it should be a part of every Christian’s life and worship. Sadly, there is still much opposition and ignorance of apologetics within the church. TPE is helping to change that!
Things to Come…
I’m so thrilled that the Lord is using TPE in all of these ways and more! I’m also thrilled to report that, although we haven’t reached our fundraising goal of $15,000, we’ve raised over $8,000! This will cover my living expenses for the next 4+ months as I continue in ministry with TPE. There is still time to increase that as we’re in the last week of our fundraising campaign. Please prayerfully consider a gift today and visit GiveSendGo/TPE to make an online donation.
I’m also thrilled to announce that the possibility of a new ministry partner for TPE is in the works that I’m very excited about. I don’t want to give too much away yet, but your financial gifts are still needed as it’s a new ministry that has just started out as a non-profit. The entire staff is busy raising their own support, with most currently working as part-time volunteers. This is a church focused ministry that seeks to train churches in integrating apologetics, discipleship, and evangelism. I’ll keep you posted on this as we continue to move forward.
Also on the horizon is a complete redesign/reboot of the TPE website. We’re moving it to a new platform that is much more user and reader friendly that will also be 100% mobile friendly as currently more than 60% of our visitors access TPE by that means. I’m also looking at developing a mobile app for TPE.
Thank you all for reading and for your prayerful and financial support as we work towards expanding this ministry and the reach of TPE. When you visit GiveSendGo/TPE, whether or not you can give financially, please click the ‘praying’ button to let me know that you’re praying for this ministry. Sharing the link is also a big help!
Yours in Christ Jesus,