Two kinds of people who have tried to shame me away from Christianity
by Wintery Knight
In my last job, I had two interesting encounters, first with a secular Jewish leftist man and second with a New Age prosperity gospel feminist Christian woman.
So let’s talk about the two people.
The man who thinks that conservative Christians are stupid
The first kind of person who tried to shame me for being a Christian is the person who thinks that Christianity is stupid. This kind of person invokes things that he hears in secular leftist pop culture as if it is common knowledge that theism generally, and Christianity in particular, is false. He’s watched a documentary on the Discovery channel which said that the eternally oscillating cosmology was true. Or maybe he watched a documentary on the History Channel that said that Jesus never presented himself as God stepping into history. He presents these things that he reads in the New York Times, or sees on MSNBC or hears on NPR with the authority tone that Ben Carson might take when explaining modern medicine to a witch doctor.
Here is how things usually go with him:
- Me: here are two arguments against naturalistic evolution, the origin of life and the Cambrian explosion.
- Him: but you don’t believe in a young-Earth do you? I mean, you believe in evolution don’t you?
- Me: let’s talk about how proteins and DNA is sequenced, and the sudden origin of Cambrian body plans
- Him: (shouting) Do you believe in evolution? Do you believe in evolution?
- Me: there hasn’t been any global warming for 18 years, and temperatures were warmer in the Medieval Warming Period
- Him: but you don’t deny climate change, do you? everyone on NPR agrees that climate change is real
- Me: let’s talk about the last 18 years of no warming, and the temperatures during the Medieval Warming Period
- Him: (shouting) Do you believe in climate change? Do you believe in climate change?
He asks these questions so he can either label me as a nut, without having to weigh the evidence I’m presenting, or have me agree with him, without having to weigh the evidence I’m presenting…
FOLLOW THE LINK BELOW TO READ THE FULL ARTICLE >>>