What do ancient non-Christian sources tell us about the historical Jesus?
by Wintery Knight
This article from Biblical Archaeology covers all the non-Christian historical sources that discuss Jesus.
About the author:
Lawrence Mykytiuk is associate professor of library science and the history librarian at Purdue University. He holds a Ph.D. in Hebrew and Semitic Studies and is the author of the book Identifying Biblical Persons in Northwest Semitic Inscriptions of 1200–539 B.C.E. (Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature, 2004).
Here are the major sections:
- Roman historian Tacitus
- Jewish historian Josephus
- Greek satirist Lucian of Samosata
- Platonist philosopher Celsus
- Roman governor Pliny the Younger
- Roman historian Suetonius
- Roman prisoner Mara bar Serapion
And this useful excerpt captures the broad facts about Jesus that we get from just the first two sources…